ROH Glory By Honor VI: Night One
PA National Guard Armory - Philadelphia, PA
A little over two years ago, I attended my first Ring of Honor show. In a show that would be released on DVD as ROH Unforgettable, the main event featured Japanese legend Kenta Kobashi wrestling alongside Homicide in a tag team match against Samoa Joe and Low Ki. I fell in love with the promotion on that night, and for the next year and a half, I bought tickets to nearly every ROH show in Philadelphia, New Jersey and New York.
Since returning to college this fall, I haven't had as much time and money to keep up with the shows the way that I used to. However, I couldn't resist the opportunity to see the second of the AJPW "Four Pillars of Heaven" to wrestle in an ROH ring in Philadelphia: the great Mitsuharu Misawa.
The card was originally advertised to include Roderick Strong vs. "Lightning" Mike Quackenbush. Roddy and Quack are two of my favorite wrestlers, so I was looking forward to this match, but it didn't happen. Instead, Roderick and stablemate Rocky Romero wrestled The Briscoes for the tag team championship. I'm not sure what happened that kept Quack off of the card.
Here are the results of the show:
- "Sugarfoot" Alex Payne defeated Kyle Durden
- Shane Hagadorn defeated Rhett Titus
- Kevin Steen and El Generico defeated The Hangman Three (Brent Albright and BJ Whitmer)
- Claudio Castagnoli defeated Hallowicked
- Davey Richards defeated Delirious
- ROH World Tag Team Championship Match
The Briscoe Brothers (Jay Briscoe and Mark Briscoe) defeated No Remorse Corps (Roderick Strong and Rocky Romero) to retain the titles.
- Six Man Tag Team Match
The Age Of The Fall (Jimmy Jacobs, Tyler Black and Necro Butcher) defeated The Vulture Squad (Jack Evans, Ruckus and Jigsaw)
- ROH Top Of The Class Trophy Match
Ernie Osiris defeated Mitch Franklin to win the Top Of The Class Trophy
- Best Of Three Series: Match Three
Austin Aries defeated "The American Dragon" Bryan Danielson to win the series (2-1) and become the #1 contender for the ROH World Championship
- ROH World Championship Match
Nigel McGuinness defeated Chris Hero to retain the title.
- Mitsuharu Misawa and Kenta vs Takeshi Morishima and Naomichi Marufuji ended in a 30 minute time-limit draw