I recently learned about this from a TopTenz video called Top 10 Mysterious World Landmarks and was instantly fascinated by it. The Georgia Guidestones are a stone monument that was unveiled on March 22, 1980. It was financed by a man using a pseudonym who represented a group that remains anonymous to this day, and it is built above a time capsule, but without a date that they recommend it be dug up.
The inscription on the monument is written in English, Spanish, Swahili, Hindi, Hebrew, Arabic, Traditional Chinese, and Russian, and the focal point is its list of these ten principles which are meant to be guidestones to an Age of Reason:
- Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature.
- Guide reproduction wisely — improving fitness and diversity.
- Unite humanity with a living new language.
- Rule passion — faith — tradition — and all things with tempered reason.
- Protect people and nations with fair laws and just courts.
- Let all nations rule internally resolving external disputes in a world court.
- Avoid petty laws and useless officials.
- Balance personal rights with social duties.
- Prize truth — beauty — love — seeking harmony with the infinite.
- Be not a cancer on the earth — Leave room for nature — Leave room for nature.